Do I need a visa for Thailand?

When planning to visit Thailand for your holiday, first of all ensure that your passport is up to date and will remain valid for six months from the date you plan to enter the country. Anyone whose passport is disfigured or has pages missing will be refused entry to Thailand.

Short stay regulations

If you’re only planning a 30-day stay or less in the country, and you arrive by air or land, then you won’t need a visa, and you’ll have visa exemption status stamped in your passport.

If you want to extend your stay in Thailand, once in the country, then you’ll have to apply for your visa exemption status to be extended for an additional 30 days. This can be sorted out at a local immigration office.

How much money do I need to have with me?

You should ensure that you have access to more than £600 or 30,000 baht per person in your bank account. Tourists should also be able to show proof of their return flights home, otherwise they will have to apply for a tourist visa. For more information about a six month tourist visa, the Thai embassy websitehas all the relevant details.

How long is my visa valid for?

Anyone planning to stay for more than 30 days in Thailand will have to apply for a visa before leaving. If you remain in Thailand once your visa has expired, you’ll be liable for a hefty fine, and you’ll be deported, at your own cost. From March 2016 anyone found overstaying in Thailand, after the date of their visa expiry, will be banned from the country.

Where should I obtain my extended visa for Thailand?

In order to be absolutely sure about the validity of your visa, should you plan a longer stay once in Thailand, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises that you only obtain your documentation from an immigration office at a legal point of entry into the kingdom.

Visas for longer trips

Thailand has also introduced multiple entry visas, METV, for those visiting the entire region and may want to return to the country. The visa is designed for those who want to stay for longer than three months, but for less than six months and can be obtained from the Thai embassy or consulates. The METV will cost £125. To obtain this visa you will have to be able to prove that you have at least £5,000 in your bank account. You will also have to show that you are employed or, if you’re self employed, proof of earnings.

Holiday Hypermarket is a trading name of TUI UK Retail Limited.
Registered office: Wigmore House, Wigmore Lane, LUTON, LU2 9TN.
Company Number: 01456086.

Book with confidence. We are a Member of ABTA which means you have the benefit of ABTA’s assistance and Code of Conduct. All the package and Flight-Plus holidays we sell are covered by a scheme protecting your money if the supplier fails. Other services such as hotels or flight on their own may not be protected and you should ask us what protection is available.


All the flight-inclusive holidays on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you pay you will be supplied with an ATOL Certificate. Please ask for it and check to ensure that everything you booked (flights, hotels and other services) is listed on it. If you do receive an ATOL Certificate but all the parts of your trip are not listed on it, those parts will not be ATOL protected. Some of the flights on this website are also financially protected by the ATOL scheme, but ATOL protection does not apply to all flights. This website will provide you with information on the protection that applies in the case of each flight before you make your booking. If you do not receive an ATOL Certificate then the booking will not be ATOL protected. Please see our booking conditions for information, or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: ATOL protection does not apply to the other holiday and travel services listed on this website


The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and National Travel Health Network and Centre have up-to-date advice on staying safe and healthy abroad. For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information check and follow @FCOTravel and More information is available by checking Keep informed of current travel health news by visiting The advice can change so check regularly for updates.