Search Holidays

Birmingham Airport Continues to Expand to Become One of the UK’s Major Airports

Runway 140088913

Birmingham Airport has started 2015 with a bang and it looks like they are set to continue its ascent in a report citing an 8.4% rise in passengers in February of this year, compared to the same month in 2014.

Flyers from Birmingham now have ‘more choice than ever in 2015’, the airport’s chief executive, Paul Kehoe, states, with a boost ‘thanks to families choosing to fly from Birmingham during a busy half-term week.’

Almost 650,000 passengers were handled in the terminal in February, following from a record breaking start in January, beating its all-time record for the month back in 2008. 89% of the 630,231 passengers were scheduled to fly, while the other 11% was made up of charter traffic.

Paul Kehoe is naturally extremely happy with these figures and says they are ‘a positive sign for the rest of the year.’ The boost is also thanks to the introduction of flights to Reykjavik with Icelandair, and Kehoe has exciting plans for the airport, already with an impressive annual 36m passenger capacity. ‘There are many new routes, served by new carriers, set to launch in the months ahead too, including Madrid, Barcelona and Malaga with Norwegian, Barcelona with Vueling and New York JFK with American Airlines.’

Kehoe also announced a one hundred percent growth on scheduled routes to Hamburg, Oporto, Gdansk, Reykjavik and Toulouse, as well as 90.7% growth on routes to Las Palmas; an 81.1% increase to Milan and an encouraging 69.3% increase in passenger numbers to Amritsar. Charter services to Montego Bay, Hannover and Izmir also experienced significant surge: all a 100% rise.

It seems Birmingham Airport is experiencing many positive developments of late. The airport will also soon welcome VLM, the airline which is to take on the Birmingham to Waterford route, which previously belonged to Flybe. From April 27th, Birmingham airport will benefit from the Belgian airline’s frequent service and a Fokker 50 aircraft. The airport also just recently announced that they will host a programme of non-stop charter flights to Beijing with Hainan Airlines in the summer.

Over the last ten years, Birmingham Airport has invested more than £200m to develop its infrastructure and push further towards the forefront of the industry. The airport has extended their single runway, inaugurating this with a full direct flight from Birmingham to Beijing. This has been a substantial step for the airport, opening up the Midlands as a central hub for global reach.

Comments

comments