Want to put an exotic twist on your weekend tipple? Take your taste-buds on a journey around the world with this rainbow of recipes originating from some of our very favourite holiday destinations! Grab yourself some ice, a cocktail shaker and some fancy cocktail glasses and you can thank us later for the best night in you’ll ever have.
Mojito – Cuba
Who doesn’t love the minty, refreshing tones of a Mojito? This classic cocktail is known for its ties to Havana, Cuba’s capital, and graces the majority of menus all around the globe. We simply had to include it in our home cocktail list. Here’s what you’ll need…
- One teaspoon of white sugar
- Fresh lime juice squeezed from one lime
- A handful of mint leaves, and a sprig for garnishing
- 60ml of white rum
- A splash of soda water
- Crushed ice
- Get yourself a small jug or cocktail shaker and muddle together the sugar, lime juice and mint leaves.
- Ensure you crush the mint leaves as much as you can as this releases flavour. A good way to do this is with the end of a rolling pin.
- Add these ingredients to a tall glass with your crushed ice.
- Pour in a generous serving of white rum and give the ingredients a stir before adding a splash of soda water and your sprig of mint to serve!
Manhattan – New York
Of course a Manhattan comes from the Big Apple! This strong and warming tipple was said to have been concocted in the early 80s in New York’s Manhattan Club. It may go down smoothly but it’s not for the faint-hearted! Get started and see for yourself…
- 60ml of bourbon whiskey
- 30ml of sweet vermouth
- A maraschino cherry
- 5ml of syrup (you can use the syrup from your jar of cherries!)
- A dash of Angostura bitters
- Add your whiskey, sweet vermouth, syrup, bitters and ice to a jug or cocktail shaker and stir until the ingredients are mixed well.
- Using a strainer, pour the liquid into a chilled glass (preferably a martini glass for the ultimate NYC look).
- Add your maraschino cherry to garnish and enjoy!
Rum Punch – Jamaica
Get a real taste of the colourful Caribbean with a traditional Jamaican Rum Punch. It’s fruity, flavoursome and fun – there’s no wonder it’s made our list. If you like rum, the clue’s in the name – this one’s perfect for you. Stick on some reggae, sit back and sip away!
- 35ml of dark rum
- 35ml of light rum
- 50ml of fresh pineapple juice
- 30ml of fresh orange juice
- Splash of fresh lime juice
- Splash of grenadine
- Add your ice, rum and fresh juices into a cocktail shaker and shake well for one to two minutes to really combine the flavours.
- Strain your mixture into a hurricane glass around half filled with ice.
- Drizzle your splash of grenadine over your drink and feel transported to a Jamaican paradise!
Aperol Spritz – Italy
Do you love a bit of bubbly and the zesty taste of orange on a hot summer’s day? If so, an Aperol Spritz is sure to quench your thirst. This cocktail comes from Northern Italy and features on many swanky cocktail lists around the world. It’s the perfect fusion of bitter and sweet tastes.
- 50ml of Aperol
- 75ml of prosecco
- Splash of soda
- You don’t need to be a pro for this simple mix! Start by adding ice to a large wine glass.
- Pour in your Aperol, followed by your prosecco.
- Top up with a splash of soda and enjoy every sensational sip!
Paloma – Mexico
One of the key things you think of when you hear ‘Mexico’ is its exquisite food and drink – and the cocktails are no exception! The Paloma is considered one of the most popular mixes of them all, combining tropical citrus fruit flavours with a distinctive tequila kick. Delicious!
- 50ml of tequila
- 30ml of fresh lime juice
- 50ml of fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- Slice of lime
- Grapefruit wedge
- First up – prepare your glass! Pour some salt on a plate and rub either a slice of lime or a grapefruit wedge around the rim of the glass. Dip the glass rim in the salt.
- Mix together your tequila, lime juice and syrup before adding to the glass over ice.
- Finally, add in your fresh grapefruit juice and pop in a slice of lime and a grapefruit wedge to finish it off!
Brandy Sour – Cyprus
The Brandy Sour is unofficially known as the national cocktail of Cyprus. It’s a mouth-watering mixture of Cypriot brandy and cool lemon – just perfect for a hot day on the beach. You can make it sweet or sour depending on your palate, so it’s one everyone can enjoy!
- 50ml of brandy (Cypriot if you have some)
- 25ml of lemon cordial
- A dash of Angostura bitters
- Soda water or lemonade
- Lemon wedge
- Add your couple of drops of Angostura bitters to a glass first.
- Pour in your brandy and lemon cordial and give this base mixture a good stir.
- Top this up with lemonade if you have a bit of a sweet tooth, or soda water if you really want to bring out the taste of brandy, leaving a little space at the top of the glass.
- Finally, add in a few cubes of ice and a big lemon wedge and there you have it – the perfect Brandy Sour!
Sangria – Spain
A trip to Spain isn’t a trip to Spain without a little Sangria! You’ll find this divine wine-based cocktail on pretty much every menu in the country, and with good reason. It’s fruity, rich, sophisticated and so tasty. Luckily, it’s easy to make at home so you can enjoy the taste of Spanish holidays again and again!
- One 750ml bottle of Spanish red wine (most red wines will work if you don’t have a Spanish bottle!)
- Fruit – some choices we recommend are apples, pears, oranges, strawberries and lemons (although you can pretty much be as creative as you’d like with Sangria, so feel free to add whichever fruits are your favourite)
- 100ml of brandy
- 150ml of fresh orange juice
- 150ml of lemonade or sparkling water
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Firstly, grab yourself a large jug, which Sangria is typically served in.
- Add your ice, fruit and sugar and mix well.
- Next up, pour in your bottle of wine and brandy and stir together.
- Finally, top your jug up with the fresh orange juice and lemonade or sparkling water. Give it one final stir and your Sangria is served!
Aruba Ariba – Aruba
Arrrriba! If you love all things tropical and smooth, sweet cocktails, you’ll be delighted with Aruba’s signature mix, Aruba Ariba. This tall drink was first poured in 1963 and has since become famous on the island. It’s a crowd-pleaser that’s easy to make at home – what more could you want?!
- 30ml of vodka
- 15ml of white rum
- 15ml of dark rum
- 15ml of banana liqueur
- 25ml of fresh pineapple juice
- 25ml of fresh orange juice
- A dash of grenadine
- Crushed ice
- A pineapple slice
- A maraschino cherry
- Grab yourself a cocktail shaker and add in your vodka, rum, banana liqueur, juices and crushed ice.
- Shake well for one to two minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a large cocktail glass and drizzle in your grenadine.
- Place your pineapple slice on the rim of the glass, put in your maraschino cherry and voila!
Moroccan Spritzer – Morocco
This cocktail takes light and refreshing to a whole new level. It’s a favourite in magical Morocco and it’s one of the best drinks to sip in the sunshine. With a zing of orange and a heavenly hint of gin, you’ll want to experience this gorgeous concoction over and over again!
- 30ml of gin
- 30ml of cointreau
- 30ml of mandarin liqueur
- Fizzy orange juice
- This one’s simple – firstly, shake up your spirits in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Strain your mixed spirits into a glass with ice.
- Top up with your fizzy orange and you’re all set!
Glühwein – Germany
This final drink is warming, cosy and fruity. Unlike the others, it’s not a drink you’d sip by the pool in the sunshine, but more typically a festive beverage filled with spices and served around Christmas time. This German take on mulled wine is so good that we just had to include it!
- A 750ml bottle of red wine
- 150ml spiced rum
- One sliced orange
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Glühwein is made in a pan, so first up, grab a large pan and put it on the hob at a low heat.
- Add in your wine, orange, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and star anise and gently warm for around 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Last but not least, add in your spiced rum before pouring into glasses and getting right into the festive spirit!
Don’t know about you, but we’re gasping for a holiday cocktail! If you are too, why not sign up below to receive our latest deals and discounts dropped straight to your inbox? You won’t regret it when you’re lying on a tropical beach with a drink in hand!
USING YOUR INFORMATION
All details provided by you will be held by Holiday Hypermarket and used in accordance with our Privacy Notice. By clicking “SIGN UP” you consent to Holiday Hypermarket and other TUI group companies contacting you from time to time by email, or occasionally by telephone or text with holiday offers, competitions, and information about our products and services.